Letter to a Younger NV
We all can look in the rearview mirror of life with 20/20 vision, but unfortunately it doesn’t work that way as we look forward. The best bet is to learn from our past and move forward with a vision of a lifestyle we want to create. (No, I won’t be going into the reasons why we should have a “To Do” list….only because I don’t have enough self-discipline to create one for myself!)
Rather than focus on food alone, I want to write a letter to my college-self, knowing what I know now. Some thoughts:
Dear College NV,
- Don’t worry about being unfocused and less than happy with school – a degree is what will matter most, it’s your passion for what you do that will drive your future.
- Just because it’s granola, doesn’t mean it’s healthy… or low-calorie.
- While it may look cool that you can drink a guy under the table now, you’ll get far greater satisfaction lifting more weight at the gym than some of the dweebie guys walking around thinking they’re hot shit.
- As much as it pains you today, learn to love to study – you’ll miss the blocks of time where you can sit and absorb information when you’re in the real world
- Start telling Dad you love him. Even though he doesn’t say it back, he’ll show it to you a thousand other ways and he’s proud of you. BELIEVE THAT.
- Read more.
- Learn how not to procrastinate – make a list and start chopping away at it. It’ll give you less time to wonder “What if…?”
- Appreciate the time you spend with your brothers – your relationship will morph and change over the eyars.
- Practice patience.
- Don’t waste your time with petty drama and gossip. While it may be fun to listen to, you’ve got more important things to worry about.
- Explore the world when you can, however you can! I know you’re not made of money, but simply take time to learn about other cultures, new neighborhoods, and different languages.
- Learn what it means to love yourself before you try loving someone else. Don’t expect the other person to fill in your gaps in self-esteem.
- Give Mom a hug. She’s the best friend you’ll have.
- Don’t just dream – wake up and make them come true.
Love & hugs,
NV in 2011